Mitavite Vitamite® Performa 3® Oil
Vitamite® Performa 3® Oil
A rich, natural source of Omega 3, 6 & 9 Fatty acids.
Performa 3® oil helps to keep the balance right by combining Omega 3 rich vegetable and fish oils with added garlic to increase immunity.
Omega 3 oils are a group of unsaturated fatty acids that cannot be synthesised by the horse and are therefore required in the diet. The three essential omega 3 fatty acids are: alpha-linolenic acid which is found in vegetable oils such as canola and linseed. The other longer chain Omega 3 fatty acids are only found in fish oil. These are Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and Docoshohexanoic acid (DHA). As DHA and EPA are absent from plant food sources and the conversion of alpha-linolenic acid to DHA and EPA is inefficient the most direct way of providing these valuable long chain Omega 3 oils is by supplementation. Performa 3 oil provides serious levels of DHA and EPA.
Research in human and animal nutritional have provided many advantages for feeding Omega 3 rich oils, particularly DHA and EPA.
- Omega 6 oils have a pro-inflammatory affect on joints, skin and hooves. By moving the balance of power to the Omega 3 oils inflammatory responses are reduced.
- Research on horses supplemented with fish oil found the horses had lower heart rates and lower packed cells volumes during exercise. This can have a favourable impact on the time to fatigue.
- Omega 3 supplementation enhances red blood cell formation, suppleness and flexibility. There is an improvement in blood vessel strength, elasticity of connective tissue and membrane flexibility with Omega 3 supplementation.
- Lung health improves due to decreased inflammation and improved blood circulation. This can be beneficial for horses with exercise induced pulmonary haemorrhaging.
- Omega 3 supplementation increases insulin sensitivity. This increases the uptake and storage of glucose and ultimately the energy available to the horse.
- Bone and lipid metabolism is improved when Omega 3 fatty acids are used.
- Cartilage degradation and the pain and inflammation associated with degenerative joint disease such as arthritis is reduced with Omega 3 supplementation.
- Anxiety and anti-stress responses are reduced with fish oil supplementation, including improvement in nervous system structure and function.
- DHA-rich Omega 3 supplements are beneficial to the breeding stallion by enhancing fertility and improving sperm motility when the semen has been frozen.